Monday 24 August 2015

WWE Summerslam 2015 afterthoughts

Well, most of my predictions fell on their arse didn't they? Being as I'm still watching NXT Takeover: Brooklyn as I write, I'm gonna give my thoughts on Summerslam first.

Overall a decent show, Summerslam was decent enough but didn't really do much to excite me. But then again, the non-themed shows rarely do (by non-themed I mean shows with no gimmick, no Royal Rumble, no Elimination Chamber, no Tables, Ladders or Chairs (oh my)). The kick off match of Orton vs. Sheamus was kind of a non event; it's kind of hard to get invested in a rivalry when neither of the men involved seem to give a shit. I don't know what Sheamus was trying to look like he was doing when setting up the RKO, looked like he was just going to faceplant the floor anyway. I'll give him credit though, that second Brogue Kick for the win, was out of nowhere.

As per usual, the tag match was pretty dry without Kidd and Cesaro or the Usos to bring the talent up to scratch. I knew the Lucha Dragons weren't going to win, but one can dream. At least The New Day are more entertaining than the Prime Time Players. Following that, Rusev vs. Ziggler was a great match while it lasted, showing the new 80's look for Lana that I've been predicting for ages and showing two of the best guys of the mid-card at their best. Then it ended with an absolutely frustrating double count out, and I died a little inside.

Amell and Neville over Barrett and Stardust went predictably, with Neville carrying the match as far as the good guys went, and the heels doing a decent job of selling the rookie. Amell's top rope jump to the outside was a ballsy move and it looked good, until Neville went into orbit directly after and pissed all over it but hey. For a guy currently filming a major TV show with very little time to prepare, Amell did just fine. I'd have probably given him the pin though. The IC Championship match following it was comparatively lacklustre, and for me the star of it was the unusually mobile Big Show. Ryback looked hurt and pissed off early on in the match, after Show jumped on him, and his bad mood came through on his performance. I'm glad he retained though, I love the Big Guy. Reigns and Ambrose vs Wyatt and Harper that followed was the low point of the show for me. Reigns spent most of it having a lay down, and while the rest performed well enough, it wasn't any different to the last few weeks on Raw and Smackdown.

Cena vs. Rollins was fucking amazing, but totally disappointing at the same time. Seth's bizarre White-Ranger-meets-Saturday-Night-Fever costume actually drew an out-loud laugh from me at first, but both of these guys - two of the best on the roster - put on such a good show despite it being obvious that Cena still wasn't 100% after his broken nose the other week, and the unfair heckling he was receiving (like him or not, he really does not suck). Cena lifting Rollins Horizontally off the floor into an AA is impressive enough, but when Rollins landed on his feet, then did the same thing to Cena, it blew me away. But the ending, Jon Stewart attacking Cena with a chair while the ref was out, was typical WWE. Rollins deserved, and needed, a clean victory here.

The Divas were a bit by-the-book. Team BAD left so early that there was little point in them being there in the first place, and, although I like Becky Lynch, the match should have come to a climax between Nikki and Charlotte, as it's obvious that's where things are going. Cesaro and Owens was a great match and Owens' victory was so satisfying after the whole "walk Owens walk" thing that's going on at the minute. He's a remarkably athletic man for his size, doing a lot more in the way of aerial moves than tiny guys known for being high-fliers like Dolph Ziggler and Kofi Kingston, and Cesaro gives the impression that he could do anything he wanted. If he could get past the language barrier a little bit more he'll be the next Cena. It was a bit of a shame to see him without the Tyson Kidd gear.

Lesnar vs. Undertaker was as awesome as you'd expect, despite the half way through weird bell-ringing fiasco. I always worry when Brock gets his hands on 'Taker. Guy's an old man. But the Lesnar chucks him half way across the ring, and 'Taker gets back up and gives him double back and he's just awesome. Still. I still remember the day I stopped watching wrestling as a kid, it was when Yokozuna 'killed' Undertaker in a casket match at Royal Rumble in 1994, and after the match I just switched off the TV (didn't even finish watching the show), went to my room and broke out the Jurassic Park action figures - I was done with Wrestling. So seeing a 'Taker victory 21 years later sent shivers through me. Lesnar was terrifying as always too. The shot of the two, sitting looking at each other, Lesnar laughing mockingly and 'Taker just losing his shit will stick with me forever.

Image from IGN
After that, when Lesnar finally tapped out to a Hell's Gate, the defiant middle finger to The Undertaker as he slipped into unconsciousness is going to go down in history as one of those iconic scenes that constantly gets replayed. Or at least it will when WWE drops the PG rating again anyway.

~TiD

No comments:

Post a Comment